Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Shopping in the Dark

Yesterday afternoon after hitting TJ Maxx and Kohl's, I ventured to the South Towne Mall in search of a wallet to replace my pink on that is broken. I can rarely find the "perfect" purse or wallet, but I was sure the mall would have something for me. I perused Macy's, and then Dillard's with no luck. As I wandered through the mall halls, in a bit of a daze after my free five minute massage at the Sanctuary Day Spa, I wandered into a store with no name above it. It was dark inside, loud music pulsing through the palm tree-ensconced doorway. Once inside, I had a hard time finding a wallet, because it was dark. Literally, not figuratively. I saw an employee hunched over a folding table, muddling through waht could have been t-shirts. An older man in his 50's came barrelling down an aisle-way, somewhat encouraged by the sight of the light from the doorway. I stood there in a daze, unable to see any merchandise, and confused as to why there were so many giddy teens thronging the place. I felt like I was on another planet. Later, a nice teen from Buckle told me the store was Hollister, and she doesn't like to shop there "cuz you can't see anything". Bright girl.

What I want to know now, is this . . . How are my contemporaries, nice Mormon Moms in their 30's and 40's, shopping here? How can they run the gauntlet fraught with credit-card armored teens and lost grandfather's in search of 50 dollar t-shirts and make it out made-up and alive?

1 comment:

Sandy said...

I love to think of you walking around in that store! It literally puts a smile on my face - I'm smiling right now...
If you still haven't gotten a wallet, I love the Roots store for that - Greg and I both have wallets from Roots. Just a little shopping hint so you don't have to wander too many more dark, teenage angst stores!